Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Thomas Cranmer

Today, I will be interviewing Thomas Cranmer.

Good morning Archbishop Cranmer.

Interviewer  - Archbishop, could you tell us about your childhood?

Archbishop Cranmer - Certainly, I was born 2 July 1489,  in Nottingham Shire, England to my parents Thomas and Agnes. I was the second of three sons. My father died in 1501 when I was 12 years of age.  In those days everything went to the eldest son.  Thus, my elder brother, John, inherited the family estate, while my younger brother, Edmund, and I accepted and pursued the church as our profession.  At the age of 14 I went to Cambridge and studied at the new Jesus College, It took me a long eight years to get my Bachelors degree, and three years to get my Masters.

Interviewer - Did you become a priest immediately after you left the university?

Archbishop Cranmer - No, shortly after I finished my Masters of Arts I married a woman named Joan.  Thou, in order to support my wife and myself.  I was forced to give up my fellowship, and got a job as a reader for another college.  Not long after, Joan past away during childbirth. Jesus College then reinstated my fellowship, for which I was very grateful, and I began studying theology.  I was ordained in 1520, and receive my doctorate of divinity in 1526.

Interviewer - So when did you become Archbishop. 

Archbishop Cranmer - On March 30, 1533, I became Archbishop of Canterbury.

Interviewer - Who made you a archbishop of Canterbury.  

Archbishop Cranmer - Henry VII named me Archbishop.

Interviewer -  Can you tell us a little bit about you family?

Archbishop Cranmer - Of course my family were poor, my father was a squire my mother stayed home and took care of us my brother john inherited the estate. And my other brother Edmund pursued the church like I did.

Interviewer - After Edward became king what did you do.
 
 
Archbishop Cranmer - When Edward became King I wrote and finished the first two parts of the Book of Common Prayer.

Interviewer - Thank you for telling us about yourself.
 
 
Archbishop Cranmer -






No comments: